Monday, April 14, 2014

My week in TV!

First, a disclaimer, I am Spanish, so I see every TV show the day after it airs in the States. That's why last Sunday's episodes count as last week. To talk about TV I decided to rank the episodes in the week. So, here it goes, from worst to best. Obviously, Spoilers ahead.

8. The Simpsons: "Luca$" (Season 25 Episode 17)


A million years later, I'm still watching The Simpsons. It feels like comfort/junk food. The episodes have been generally weak this season but every one has a few funny moments. Nevertheless, they tend to have this gimmick that I hate in which all the stories in the episode (two usually) come together for the resolution.
From this one I remember Lisa's story about the competitive eater kid but it was not very remarkable.

MVP: The squirrel?

7. Glee: "Bash" (Season 5 Episode 15)


I have a weird relationship with Glee. I cannot wait to see the latest episode when it's aired but I very rarely like them. This was a very special episode in a very bad way. Kurt gets bashed and we learn a lesson about homophobia. I'm not saying TV should not deal with social issues but it should not be done in this crass and clumsy way. Artie has a couple of lines where he is literally reciting statistics. Riveting television, for sure. To find a silver lining, I really liked Lea Michele in this episode, she shines when Rachel is mean and petty. And I think that the Mercedes/Sam thing is ridiculous. Again, it would be interesting to see how a show deals with an interracial couple and what that means today but not if it means that what we get is this. And also, where the hell is Santana?

MVP: Lea Michele as Rachel.

6. Community: "Basic Story (1)" (Season 5 Episode 12)


This season is ending! Time flies when you have fun and this season has been a lot of fun. I don't like to inflate Dan Harmon's ego but he really knows how to handle these characters. I don't care much for Jitta/Breff but the ending with the Dean, Abed and Annie so excited about a treasure was golden. What is going to happen to this show? Is it going to have a sixth season? As of now, I'd say it deserves it.

MVP: Alison Brie as Annie, like always.


5. Parks and Recreation: "Flu Season 2" (Season 6 Episode 19)


Parks and Recreation is going to have a 7th season, for sure. I was a little skeptical about it but since the news of Leslie's pregnancy I feel optimistic about it. I thought the three stories in this episode were very good and allowed everyone to shine. April being obnoxious and Donna laughing because of it is the stuff that dreams are made of.

MVP: Adam Scott as Ben, who plays drunk hilariously.


4. Grey's Anatomy: "I'm Winning" (Season 10 Episode 19)


Grey's Anatomy is possibly one of the most maligned shows on TV right now, but the truth is that the show has kept its quality for ten years and that is not easy. Sure, the show has changed but it is for the good. We are at a place right now where all the couples are consolidated. Even if they have problems, it is never in the shape of a conventional love triangle (even if Grey's Anatomy also mastered those). And thanks to that, this season has had one of the most interesting storylines of the year. Meredith and Cristina falling out due to their different approaches to their careers. And just when we thought they had put that behind them, Meredith admits that she's jealous of her friend. Really, there are very few better characters than Meredith Grey and it is a shame that Ellen Pompeo has never been nominated for an Emmy. On top of everything we get the sweetest Callizona scene. Great episode.

MVP: Sara Ramirez as Callie, on that machine that told her she was depressed.

3. Galerías Velvet: "La decisión de Alberto" (Season 1 Episode 8)


Galerías Velvet is a Spanish show that tries to mix Mad Men with Grey's Anatomy while keeping some of our idiosincrasies (there are two characters yelling all the time, that's Spain for you) and I am surprised to say that I enjoy it a lot. The lead actress (Paula Echevarría, in the picture) is not exactly great but she has her moments but, in general, the cast is great, mixing older actors with younger ones. The story is very soapy but very entertaining. And as a bonus, Miguel Ángel Silvestre is shirtless sometimes.

MVP: Miriam Giovanelli as Patricia, standing up for herself and facing the consequences.

2. Game of Thrones: "Two Swords" (Season 4 Episode 1)


We're back in Westeros! This is the first Game of Thrones episode that I've watched when it aired. I binged the first three seasons after the Red Wedding happened and everything. And it's so good to see that the quality is still top-notch. I'm going to watch the second episode in a couple of hours and I am dying! Regarding the picture I fear for Daenerys. She is trusting too much her power over the dragons and over the slaves. I hope she's not setting herself for betrayal (I have not read the books and I like to pretend they don't exist, by the way). I loved to see Brienne, and Tywin and Olenna... As my boyfriend said, this is the show that has the best handle on its ensemble. Everyone gets their scenes and if you miss someone it's always for a reason.

MVP: Maisie Williams as Arya. That last scene was so cool and so scary at the same time.

1. Hannibal: "Yakimono" (Season 2 Episode 7)


And the best episode of the week award goes to... Hannibal! Seriously, how good is this show? Will is released from the hospital/jail, Chilton is accused of being the reaper and Hannibal and I just want to slap Alana. Madds Mikelsen is hot, but don't be blind, girl! Plus, Hugh Dancy is hotter. I don't think Chilton is dead, as I've read some places. The bullet goes in his cheek and maybe that's not lethal? Not sure, but I hope he's not dead, I like the character.

MVP: Anna Chlumsky as Miriam Lass.

And that's it! Remember, reading is boring, TV rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment